WFSAA News - Winter 2017
June 20, 2018 – Wisconsin Dells“The secret of change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” - Socrates
CHANGE. The one little word that is feared by so many. In most cases, fear of change stops us from acting. Like it or not we are creatures of habit. We like our routines, we don't like to be faced with the unknown and we love the excuse “that’s the way we have always done it”.
But change is important in organizations to allow members to learn new skills, explore new opportunities and exercise their creativity in ways that ultimately benefit the member and the organization through new ideas and increased commitment.
By simply asking the question "Why?" it can lead to new ideas and prevent stagnation that can directly impact the betterment of the organization. New members joining an organization are especially valuable because they can often point to areas of opportunity for improvement that those who have been involved in the organization for many years might have overlooked. But even existing members should take the opportunity to question why things are done a certain way and look for new ways for the group to excel.
The WFSAA Board Members have decided to embrace the change. We have spent the last several months rewriting our bylaws and our policies and procedures manual. We felt very strongly about making sure we are providing superior opportunities to our members. No two members of our organization have the same job description, yet we all benefit from being a part of the Wisconsin Fire Service Administrative Association. Our membership provides us with training, networking opportunities, resources in the same field of work and most importantly friendships. I am honored to be a part of this amazing organization and to take part in our rewarding opportunities.
Future Meeting Dates
- March 14, 2018 – Portage
- June 20, 2018 – Wisconsin Dells
- September 19, 2018 – DeForest
- November 14, 2018 - Portage
We are actively seeking new members! I strongly encourage the WSFCA membership to embrace and encourage your support staff in their continued professional development. Remember, they are an important part of your organization’s operations. Membership in the WFSAA has countless benefits, some of which include:
- to be an effective support system to the Fire Chiefs
- to provide a forum in which Wisconsin Fire Service Administrative Association may discuss matters of mutual interest
- to provide an educational channel for Wisconsin Fire Service Administrative Association in their continuing efforts to improve their efficiency and to elevate their professional status
- to continue to set goals and objectives in order to keep updated with the ever growing Fire Service industry, striving to obtain information so that we may equip ourselves to serve our departments with even greater skills and knowledge
- to provide a communication network for sharing of unique ideas and concerns
Regular membership (an active member of a fire department) is $55.00 per year (this includes lunch at the quarterly meetings).
If you are interested in joining us, or know of someone who is, please contact Mary Roessler at Middleton Fire District, 7600 University Avenue, Middleton, WI 53562 at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Watertown Fire Department
WFSAA Vice President