City of Urbana, Illinois
The vibrant community of Urbana, Illinois (pop. 43,200), seeks a proven, innovative fire professional to serve as the new Fire Chief. This vacancy exists due to the planned retirement of Brian Nightlinger, who has led the Urbana Fire Department since 2013. The Fire Chief is an appointed, at-will position that serves at the discretion of the Mayor. Operational guidance will be provided by the City Administrator.
The Fire Chief is the executive-level position responsible for the administration and management of the Urbana Fire Department. Primary responsibilities include planning, directing, coordinating, and administering operational firefighting, fire prevention programs, EMS calls and training activities. The incumbent in this position is responsible for staffing, training, budgeting, compliance with applicable laws and regulations, and other administrative duties. The Chief is also responsible for representing the department to federal, state, county, and local public agencies and the public.
- Associate's degree in Fire Science or a bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college; may substitute ten years of experience as a Firefighter at the Urbana Fire Department to fulfill this requirement.
- At least three (3) years of demonstrated dynamic and innovative leadership with increasingly responsible supervisory experience in a management capacity.
- Experience with fostering positive labor relations.
- Office of the Illinois State Fire Marshal Firefighter Basic Certification or Firefighter II Certification; and Office of the Illinois State Fire Marshal Fire Officer I and II Certifications.
Highly Desired and Preferred Attributes
- Bachelor's and/or Master’s degree in Fire Science, Fire/Emergency Management, Business Administration, Public Administration or a similar field from an accredited institution.
- At least five (5) years of responsible management experience in a municipal fire command position, or equivalent experience in a municipal department of comparable size.
- Graduate of the Executive Fire Officer Program at the National Fire Academy and/or designation as Chief Fire Officer from the Center for Public Safety Excellence (CPSE).
- Experience working with and effectively participating in contract negotiations and labor relations issues.
- Experience working with and understanding the needs of a highly diverse community.
Competitive salary with excellent benefits will be provided. Beginning salary will be negotiable DOQ. Additional details can be found at: www.urbanacareers.org/fire-chief.
Submit a cover letter and resume no later than Friday, June 8, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. CST. Please direct application materials and any questions to Todd Rent, Human Resources Director, at: UrbanaFireChiefSearch@urbanaillinois.us
The City of Urbana Welcomes Diversity!
We foster an environment that values and encourages mutual respect, inclusion of all people, and utilizing differences and similarities as an organizational asset. EOE.
Members may post open positions in their departments or organizations to the WSFCA web site at no charge. These posting may be listed in a monthly email blast to members with a link to the appropriate web page. All postings must contain a deadline and will be taken off the web page on that date. Non-members may post job opportunities to the web site at a cost of $25.
For more information contact the WSFCA office at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-375-5886