The WSFCA Mentoring Program uses Chiefs as volunteers to commit to supporting, and guiding new Fire Chiefs for a period of at least six months.
- To provide motivation, guidance, and enhancement of leadership and problem solving skills through mentoring.
- To cultivate creative and dynamic relationships between mentors and mentees with similar organizational structure.
- To establish a professional relationship with accountability and responsibility from mentor and mentee as identified by the mentee application.
- To determine the overall effectiveness of the mentor relationship by the use of surveys by both the mentor and mentee.
- Make a six month commitment
- Communicate with the mentee as needed Participation Requirements
- Be willing to adhere to all program policies and procedures
- Be willing to complete the application and screening process
- Be dependable and consistent in meeting the time commitments
- Attend mentor orientation/training sessions
- Be willing to communicate regularly with program staff, submit activity information, and take constructive feedback regarding mentoring activities
- Willing listener
- Encouraging and supportive
- Patient and flexible
- Tolerant and respectful of individual differences
Application and Screening Process
- Personal interview
- Provide three personal references
- Attend mentor orientation/training